This means that you are one of visitors to the site.
Origin of the FIFA World CupTM Trophy.
There have actually been two FIFA World Cup(tm) trophies made during the lifetime of the games.
The original trophy was made by a French sculptor, Abel LaFleur, in gold. This sculpture was of the Lady of Victory stretching both arms out to support an eight-angled cup on a marble-like base. This trophy was called the "Jules Rimet Cup", in honor of the founder of the FIFA World Cup(tm) event. During the course of three FIFA World Cup(tm) events (1930, 1934 and 1938) which were held before the Second World War, the name changed to simply the 'World Cup'.
This trophy has had an interesting history. During the Second World War, it was hidden from the Germans under a bed in an Italian home. After surviving World War II, the "World Cup" was stolen during a public exposition just before the 1966 England FIFA World Cup. Fortunately, the trophy was later found in a trash container by a dog called "Pickles." The Brazilian team won the trophy permanently in 1970, and was rewarded for being the only team ever to have won three World Cups.
Unfortunately, the trophy was stolen a second time in 1983 in Brazil and since then has never been recovered. It is assumed that the thieves melted down the trophy. The Brazil Football Association now has a duplicate of the trophy.
A second trophy was selected in 1974 by FIFA. There were 53 designs to choose from. The Italian sculptor, Silvio Gazazniga won the commission. He designed this trophy in 18 carat gold. The sculptor explained that "players are supporting the earth from the bottom on a circle form, which represents the emotional moment of winning the game."